Monday, April 30, 2007

What we still need for baby 3.

With 9 weeks to go I have decided to go ahead and start taking inventory. I also had an idea that I should start packing my bag. I did this early with E and it sat for months. But with J, I packed it 6 weeks early and wound up going into labor the week after. It was nice to be able to tell someone to just go in the baby's room and pick up the bag. No one had to go through my tings looking for stuff. So, I am feeling the need to start. I was hanging up clothes in E's closet this morning and started searching through boxes to see what we still lack for this new baby girl. People have asked what I needed and at those times I can only recall the large items. So, I decided to make a list of what we need, and now I am sharing it with you all.

1. A double stroller.
Every mother of two infants has told me that her lifeline during the first 3 years was her double stroller. If you think about it, you can't even really run into the post office without it. Especially until E is walking steadily. I found one that will allow me to attach our infant car seat: Graco Quatro Tour Duo in Milan.

2. Crib sheets
Remember folks...two babies in cribs....double the sheets. Plus I only have 2 sheets for E. I have to wash them all the time and one of them is completely worn out.

3. 1 Crib mattress pad
It wouldn't hurt to have a spare with two babies, but I am listing the bare minimum on this list.

4. A diaper bag built for two
I am a firm believer in having more than one diaper bag. I have two for E. One is nearly too small but in perfect condition. The other is not built as well and though large, it is falling apart. I need some large bags for two in diapers. I think I am registered for one at each place, but I am always looking for something chic and trendy. Let me know if you find one.

5. Newborn, 0-3 and 3-6 month footed pjs
B's sister-in-law, Candi, had a little girl almost 4 years ago. She sent Brooklynn's hand-me-downs when E was born. It was really sweet, but E lived in onesies for the first few months since it was so hot. She had so many of her own onesies we barely used what Candi sent us. However, I relied heavily on her pjs until E grew into the size of pjs she is in now (6-9 months). Since we didn't use too many of her things, and B's sister is having a little girl in May, we passed the boxes on to her. Now I am left pj-less for this new baby. Smart move eh?

6. Breast pump
Ok, I do realize that this is not an item most people would purchase for another person, but this list is for me too. I had a pump with E that I bought used. It is awful. Milk backs up into the pump and spews all over. Not pleasant. Plus, I have a feeling I will need to pump much more with this baby so I can spend quality time alone with E and J when needed. So, yes, I need a new pump.

7. Baby B's bedding
The bedding is Glenna Jean's Isabella. E has the same set except for the bumper. The set is a whopping $407 at the store, but I have seen it on Ebay for $289.

8. Newborn and size 1 diapers
Self explanatory. I prefer Pampers swaddlers (newborn) and Huggies Supreme for sizes 1-3.

This is what I have been able to come up with so far. It's not much, but necessary. I am also including links to the registries here. Yes there are other things on the list. Things I thought would be nice to have (like a second high chair...can you imagine having to feed them separately?). The basics are also on there.

USA Baby
http://www.usababy.com/reg2/reg_registrydisplay.cfm?seq=2595741

Babies R Us
http://www.toysrus.com/ControllerServlet?target=viewDetails&operation=authenticate_user®istryNumber=36950378&from=registrySearch

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Couple of things to think about- I had three grilfriends who had babies really close together:
On the stroller, make sure you can put the diaper bag in the basket when it's full of kids - back thenm there was adesign flaw that the diaper bag was not accessible when both kids were aboard - maybe they've fixed it now, but double-check - I've heard moms cuss over this flaw.
Consider renting a professional breast pump - there are RNs that rent these - I did that with my two & it was great - easy to clean - very quick - could do both breasts at the saem time (yes you'll feel like Bessie, but you don't want to be tied down too long with E on the loose).
My 2 cent's worth...