Friday, April 20, 2007

To shower, or not to shower...

That is the question!

No silly, I am not talking about personal hygiene. I am talking about a baby shower. I went with a friend, C, to register for their new baby girl they adopted from China. Her baby shower is tomorrow. I am hosting along with two other friends. I mentioned we need the famous stork (I will post a picture of the sad stork after the shower tomorrow) one more time and it happened to be at C's house. She quickly corrected me and said "no we need it two more times". It didn't take long to realize what she was saying. But do I really need another baby shower? And if not (as she kindly pointed out) why in the world was I registering in the first place?

I feel like a second baby shower in such a short time is a little snobbish. I mean, I tend to run around with the same group of friends and they already showered me with gifts last year in June. Isn't it wrong to ask them to get together this June, for me, AGAIN? I am having another little girl and we have the majority of the things we need for this baby. So would people frown on receiving an invitation again?

On the other hand a shower is the celebration of a new life. We are not celebrating me, rather the life inside. My mom told me about a co-worker having a baby boy for the 4th time who had a shower at work. She had everything she needed so they all brought diapers. The reason was clear. The baby deserved a party no matter what his birth order was. When you put it THAT way, I completely agree. This baby girl didn't choose to be last, and she is just as special as her siblings. Besides, any excuse to have a party right???

I guess my biggest fear is having the same friends do so much for my baby again. I know the old saying "That's what friends are for", but C is going to have her hands full with a new little one. While I appreciate the kindness, I can't help but feel guilty. I am so blessed to have such great friends. All of them. They hold your hand (or baby) through sonograms, help you paint your house, take you for sushi when you are having a craving, tell you when your butt DOES look fat in those jeans, and occasionally remind you that boys really are stupid and the fact that your husband forgot flowers on Valentine's Day does not mean he's not desperately in love with you. What more could a girl want?

2 comments:

Mary Beth said...

You bet you need another shower!

and the nice thing about life going on is that you make new friends...who are happy to step in...especially since they missed your last shower. :)

hmm, who could that be?

Anonymous said...

and let's face it - we're girls - we love showers!!