Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Getting ready for the big move

I've just returned from the NICU for the 12AM feeding. She didn't really want to nurse this time. She had a bath earlier this evening and all the tape from the feeding tube and misc. wires has been removed from her face. She has such sensitive skin that her poor poor face is now covered in a rash. She doesn't seem bothered by it, but I feel sad for her. It has to burn a little bit!

So we did our standard cuddle, nuzzle, latch, fall asleep routine for 20 minutes... then I fed her 25 ccs of formula. While I was nursing/feeding her, they came into her room and moved the isolet out of there. The isolet is a big open crib with a warming unit on top and a warming pad underneath. It helps new babies keep their temps up after birth. Most babies stay in one for a few hours, then are sent away to hang out with their mommies. Babies in the NICU usually need a little more help with temp regulation, so she was in hers until I went in for this feed. She is in her big (newborn baby) girl crib bed now. She will stay in the NICU tonight and through the morning until her antibiotic is finished and then will be transferred to the regular newborn nursery.

I couldn't be happier! When the Dr. from the NICU came and talked to me yesterday, he mentioned it could be 1-2 weeks on oxygen in the NICU before the pneumothorax would resolve completely. Our little girl has pulled this off in just a little over 36 hours. She's a trooper! All the NICU nurses keep telling us how feisty she is. I bet...with all that sushi and crazy food I was craving!

By the way...I didn't have all the stats of her birth until this afternoon, so here ya go:
date- 7/2/07
time- 12:22 pm
weight- 7 lbs 9 oz
length- 19 inches
head- 13 3/4
APGAR1- 8
APGAR2- 8

No comments: