Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Good news, and no news...

The good news is that our baby girl appears to be perfectly healthy on sonogram. She is a little smaller than they guessed yesterday, but still within the normal range for her gestational age.

Dr. P said the fluid is low, but she does still have some, which is good news for the baby. He said it was low enough though to suspect a tear or rupture in the membranes somewhere, so he sent me to my OB for nitrizine testing (basically paper that turns from yellow to green if amniotic fluid is present). He also scared me by saying if that test was positive I would be admitted to the hospital right away.

I don't have a lap top, so you can assume safely that I am not in the hospital. The test was negative. Whew!

I DO have to go back AGAIN tomorrow to see Dr. G (he has been out of the office) and set up "an action plan for the low fluid issue". Those were nurse K's exact words.

Action plan? I asked. What exactly can you guys do for me to help?

Her answer: Nothing. We can't do anything to replenish the fluid. He will most likely put you on bed rest and monitor the baby frequently.

My response: "OK, what IF I lose 5 more cms of fluid over the next 2 weeks??"

Nurse K: Then we will have to deliver the baby early.

Woah! What???? I can't have a baby at 32 weeks. I don't have time to sit in a NICU all day and stare at my helpless baby with tubes and wires all over her. I knew this could be serious, but come on...give me some fluid God....this is scary!

We won't know anything else until tomorrow. I am praying for the best (no bed rest, healthy full term baby) but preparing for bedlam. I can't imagine our house without me being involved. I like my house clean. I like the dishes to be put away before bed, and the trash taken out when it is full. My dear B and J (the Texas tornadoes) do not share my enthusiasm for cleanliness. How can I sit in bed all day and let the filth acquire around me and not do anything? Dr. G may have to admit me if he wants complete bed rest. LOL.

No comments: