Monday, May 21, 2007

32 week mark!

So here I am taking a break from packing my hospital bag. It was starting to freak me out a little. (Especially when I added the humongous granny panties from my post-E birth days.) EEK! I have all the needed items and travel-sized toiletries. Someone will have to come home and grab my make-up bag for me but that is easy.

We made it to 32 weeks yesterday! YAY!

As I was reading on a preemie website the other day, there is a world of difference between a 29-30 week and a 32 week baby. All my newsletters say that she should weigh in the neighborhood of 3.75-4 lbs. Still a little small in my opinion, but not scary small. There are even some 32 week babies that can breathe on their own and a lot of them only require CPAP for a few days (continuous positive airway pressure). Here is more info from kidshealth.org:

A nasal CPAP device consists of a large tube with tiny prongs that fit into the baby's nose, which is hooked to a machine that provides oxygenated air into the baby's air passages and lungs. The pressure from the CPAP machine helps keep a preemie's lungs open so he or she can breathe. However, the machine does not provide breaths for the baby, so the baby breathes on his or her own.


Picture of a preemie on CPAP:


No comments: