Saturday, May 12, 2007

Early mother's day

Sometime this past week I mentioned to B that I would like a mother's day where I didn't have to get up with the kids. Unfortunately, this will never happen as long as I am married to a church musician. (I really think Mother's Day should be moved to a Saturday). So my day started when E (sleeping later than normal) woke up around 8:15 and B got up with her, took her downstairs, changed her and gave her a bottle. I sat in bed thinking "how wonderful, I'm going back to sleep". I could hear echoes of them playing downstairs and I found myself just listening and smiling.

Sleep did not come, which is surprising because I am exhausted all of the time these days. There was another problem...I was hungry. I am used to being up with E and J around 7:15 and eating. Now it was closer to 9 and my tummy was not happy with waiting. I finally dragged myself out of bed and stumbled downstairs.

"What are you doing up?" said B.

"I'm hungry", I mumbled.

As I ate the usual bowl of high fiber/low taste cereal, B gathered up E, put her in the car and drove to Starbucks to buy me a much needed latte. When they returned, E was ready for her morning nap so I rocked her and then went back to bed to enjoy my coffee. But then I was awake. So did I relax? Nope, not me! Nesting instincts overpower any will to relax at this stage, and now these instincts were powered by caffeine.
So I finished painting the office. It's done. YAY! (I will post pics when we get the furniture and boxes sorted out.)

After shopping with my mom and E most of the day, I had to take J to a B-day party. My back was in pretty bad shape from all the walking I had done so B went upstairs to get J and have him sign the card. I was in the recliner and took my eyes off of E for one minute. I heard her behind me and thought nothing of it, until, uh oh. I realized she went after B. I jumped out of the chair just as she climbed up her first stair. Yes...my baby (not yet walking) is climbing stairs. What was supposed to be a quiet evening while J was at the B-day turned into a panic to find a pressure gate to block the bottom of the stairs (we have had one at the top for just over a week now).

For those of you who have not had the pleasure of having your own little ones, you would never believe how fast they go from one major milestone to another. Just yesterday, E didn't know how to maneuver the stairs at all. To her, the stairs were a baby gate. She watched one of our cats climb the stairs as if she was taking mental notes, and the next day she has it down. With B watching from top and me right behind her, we decided to let her climb to see what she could do. She climbed 4 stairs, all by herself. She is growing up so fast!

No comments: