Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Prayers for Flower Mound

I don't understand what is going on in my community. It seems that cancer is the diagnosis of choice these days and I'm really starting wonder if there is something in the water we drink.

My mom lost one of her best friends to cancer this past January. Gina Holland was our priest's wife and one of the most genuinely kind people I had ever known. We didn't even have much time to say goodbye, it happened so fast. One minute she was at Church, and the next she was gone. I still think I see her at times in a mall or passing crowd. It's just not fair.

Here it is several months later and as I type, my dad is still in surgery (his 2nd in a matter of weeks) to decide which stage his cancer is in and what treatment options he will need. My dad has had a long battle with cancer. This is nothing completely new. He was first diagnosed when I was a sophomore in college. Bladder cancer...highly treatable. He had years of remission, followed be recurrence, then remission again. Now we find out there is not cancer in the bladder, but possibly in a kidney. Yikes! He may even lose one. . My dad is one of the friendliest people you will ever meet. He is laid back and isn't easily rattled. In fact, upon discussing how he was feeling one night, he casually remarked to my mom about why did she let him cancel his life insurance policy. Even in a frightening situation, that's how he is. Calm and laid back. He works out, eats green things occasionally and doesn't smoke. People like this shouldn't get cancer...right? Where does this come from? Why is this happening? It's all very numbing and scary

As I was sitting here trying to take my mind off the fact that my dad's ureter is being biopsied and studied, I received an email from our choir director. A friend that we sing with has been diagnosed with a brain tumor. Phil Meyers. Such a great guy. Always has a smile on his face. I keep repeating to myself "it's not fair, it's not fair". But will that make it all go away? Absolutely not.

In times like these I find that prayers and words escape me. As I turn to the Lord for comfort, it feels like when you scraped your knee as a child and the minute your mom asked what happened and hugged you your emotions poured out like a waterfall. Tears come. That's all. Words to prayers are forgotten and I just stare into space. And again those repeating words in my head "it's not fair".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you, it's so not fair.

You know what? I have known your dad since I have been at the church; though I was never introduced to him he always acted like had known me forever. "that is the nicest man," I thought.

I just figured out that he was your dad! You are lucky. And I am sorry about his continuing illness. You all are in my prayers.