Thursday, June 28, 2007

We got the green light!!!

Our appointment went really well again this week. The baby looked fantastic on her NST.

I just have a lab appointment Sunday, and then we have to be at the hospital at 9:30 Monday morning. I don't mind being there that early. I remember with E, that time in the prep room goes by super fast. You change into the beautiful hospital gown, get hooked up to the monitor to listen to the baby's heartbeat. They ask you about a million questions, then you get to see the anesthesiologist and answer 2 million more. Visitors can come in and see you, so that helps the time go by as well. About 15 minutes before surgery they have B put on his lovely blue plastic suit and then it's time to go.

In the operating room they get me all set up, administer the spinal block (the needle doesn't feel so good going in), and then a bunch of people come in and start acting important. There is my OB, an assisting Dr. (last time it was his partner Dr. F), my nurse (who stays next to me), 2 surgical nurses to assist that Dr's, the Anesthesiologist, a surgical tool tech (she counts them all before and after surgery....really cool to see if they leave something behind), then all the support staff for the baby. I think we had two nurses with E, but my memory of that time is foggy. So, all these people are gathered around you bustling with energy and talking medical jargon. Then after they make the first incision, they let B come in and sit next to me. From there it seems like mere seconds before you hear the baby cry. They show her to me quickly over the curtain, clamp and cut the cord, and then she goes to a warmer and I can watch then work on her while they put me back together.

It's not so scary when you know what t expect. The fun part is for the others at the hospital. They get to wait and watch while B brings the baby into the nursery. Then they measure her weight, length and head circumference. Meanwhile, I am still down in surgery. The "putting back together" is the longest part. Not too bad for me...the Dr's usually make small talk with me. In fact, I recall as Dr G was closing me up after E he said "All of your reproductive organs look healthy and perfect.....ready for #3".

Maybe he jinxed us into it happening so soon???

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just 10 years ago, I was insanely fortunate to be present for the Caesarian birth of my niece. My BIL and I were watching and crying...my sister was complaining because she couldn't see them taking the baby out and we could!

Then she realized that she COULD see the reflection in my glasses, if I held my head "just so."

So, I did.

If you want to see (watching that operation is fascinating, and definitely a whole 'nother miracle on top of the baby coming out of you!), you might make sure B has some nice clean glasses.

Love to you.

Anonymous said...

Good luck tommorrow Sarah!!!!! I will be watching for how everything goes!

Scarlett