Wednesday, March 28, 2007

My baby, week 24

I realize that I have not mentioned anything about the pregnancy in awhile. Honestly, there is not much to tell. I am in the back 4 weeks of the 2nd trimester. Also known as the "feel good" trimester. That's why I am in such a rush to finish some high-energy projects. I also have the dreaded Glucose Tolerance test next week. Some of you may recall I failed that test with E and had to test my sugars 4 times a day for the last 3 months. Not fun.

The baby girl (the one in my belly) is getting much more active. She still isn't quite as active as J and E were, but at least I know she's still there. Here is what my newsletter says about her this week:

Your baby's growing steadily, gaining about a quarter of a pound since last
week, when she was just over a pound. Since she's almost a foot long, that makes
a pretty lean figure, but her body is filling out proportionally and she'll soon
put on more baby fat. Your baby's skin is thin, translucent, and wrinkled, her
brain is growing rapidly, and her taste buds are developing. Her lungs are
developing "branches" of the respiratory "tree" and cells that produce
surfactant, a substance that helps the air sacs inflate easily.

The top of your uterus is now an inch or so above your belly button, which
means it's about the size of a soccer ball. With the skin on your abdomen and
breasts stretching, you may feel a little itchy
now and then. If your skin is dry, keeping it well moisturized may help. Also,
your eyes may be sensitive to light and feel gritty and dry. This is a perfectly
normal pregnancy symptom known as dry-eye. To ease your discomfort, use an
artificial tears solution to add moisture.

No comments: