Thursday, February 15, 2007

A sweetheart's day to remember

This year, Valentine's was about as low-key as ever. No date, no presents, no getting all gussied up. This year was about survival on no sleep with a very cranky baby. I dragged myself through the day waiting for the moment E would go down for one of her 3 usual naps. Nothing happened. She would fall asleep here and there for 20 minutes or so IF you were holding her. Otherwise it was a scream fest. I didn't call the Dr. since we had an appointment for a regular 6 month check up today.

We took her to the Dr. this morning and of course she was bright-eyed and happy. Smiling, babbling, doing all the things normal happy babies do. So we asked what could have possibly been wrong. She has been running a low-grade fever off and on since Sunday and her eating habits are awful. Ears were clear...thank goodness.
Dr. Hodge (E's pedi) said she believes it's just teething that is causing her so much grief. We can alternate Motrin and Tylenol to keep her comfy. (What??? No whiskey?) She also wants us to completely refuse to give her midnight "snacks". Sure Dr H. You coming to our house at 3 AM when she is waking up the neighbors with sounds only heard on a Godzilla soundtrack???

Other than cutting teeth, she is a completely healthy, normal, happy, baby. She mentioned she is ready to take off crawling...soon, so this weekend will be spent checking out the latest in baby stair gates. She also handed us a pamphlet about baby-proofing. Won't that be fun? I never really had to worry about that with J. He was never interested in cabinets or toilets, so I never had to lock them. I am not taking any chances this time. Babies R Us, here we come.

Back to V-day. B was very sweet. He brought home a salad and rolls and made pasta. We lit a fire and ate a not so romantic dinner as E looked on from her highchair, gumming a teething biscuit into oblivion. It was actually one of the nicer V-day evenings I've had. I got a card that said I'm "the perfect wife", a new wedding ring (on order) in my pregnancy fat finger size, and a free "go get you hair done wherever you want" card. I think B's words were "pamper yourself, you deserve it". Wow, who are you and what did you do with my husband? Then after dinner I enjoyed a nice warm bath with no child emergency interruptions (amazing), followed by a hair brush that basically put me to sleep. I slept wonderfully last night. Now THAT is a new mom's perfect V-day. Thanks B!!! I love you too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can I marry him when you are done with him? (just kidding...sort of...)