Thursday, February 8, 2007

Snips and snails, and puppy dog tails....

That's what little boys are made of.
Well, that's what the nursery rhyme says. Obviously whoever wrote it failed their freshman biology course. We all know little boys are made up of the same things as little girls with a few different physical and chemical differences. Right? Or is there something non-biological going on with our fine fellows of the opposite sex?

As my previous post stated, I took our 7 year old, J, to PWP and the Book Fair at school. On the way to the fair, B called and said his rehearsal was cancelled and he would meet us there for dinner and books. We get to the school, pay our $2.50 per person and stand in line for cold Cici's pizza, warm beverages and something that resembled a cinnamon roll. After dinner is when these two odd creatures revealed a dark side to me.

As we walked into the library we told J he could pick three books. One for him (anything he wanted), one to read with E, and one educational book (yes I know we are boring parents). J immediately picked up a Spongebob chapter book for himself, and a cute book for Emma. We then proceeded to the "educational" book table. J has an extreme fascination with the planets and solar system as well as sharks. So, naturally, we guide him towards these books. Unfortunately a different "educational" book caught his eye immediately. He grabbed the book, ran up to me, and in non-library-appropriate voice (laughing along too) he exclaimed "MOM, look it's a book about POOP!" Stares came from all over the book fair. I felt myself trying to sink to the floor. Boys eyes turned from all directions as their ears perked. What is it with poop? What is so interesting about it that it holds our dear boy's attentions into adulthood (and beyond I am sure)?

I always thought I wanted 3 little boys running around the house, playing with cars and insects. But in this brief moment of complete humiliation I had a fondness for my daughter I had not yet felt. Especially when girls walked by the book and shrieked "Oh gross!!!!" It will be nice to have someone on "our team". Someone who understands the fine art of a good clay mask and fat jeans. I will always cherish my two "little boys" and if this next one is a boy, I will love him just the same. But I now appreciate having my baby girl in a way I never had before.

We did in fact buy the poop book for J, and the last two nights the boys have read several pages including the one about how to change your "p" different colors. Good for them I guess. On his way out the door this morning, J ran in to give me my goodbye hug and, while looking at E, asked "why does she always wear pink mommy?" I smiled broadly and said "because she's a girl!"

1 comment:

Cynde said...

Hey, my girl loves to watch Brainiac because they blow things up, and she thinks "poop" is one of the funniest words in the English language.

Having said that, in a couple of years when she's J's age, she'll probably be walking by saying "gross" to the poop books.

She's going to party at Libby Lu on Sunday, so she may never be the same after that.