Thursday, August 16, 2007

Trauma: Life in the Dr's office

Today we took E for her 12 month check-up. We knew going in it would be a bad day (she had to get 3 vaccines) but we had no idea what else we were in for. The actual physical went well for the most part. She is a whopping 30 inches tall (75th percentile...no shocking news there with her tall mommy and daddy) and 19 1/2 pounds (25th percentile). She does all the normal things a 1 year old should be doing and she was given a clean bill of health...for the most part.

Some of you may recall E had a mild right hip click at birth from being in the breech position. We took her to Scottish Rite hospital and after several visits, they determined she had normal hips with no signs of hip dysplasia. However, I have been noticing that her walk is a little funny at times, like she is peg-legging on the right side. We brought it up today and after a physical exam the Dr. found a hip click once again. So it's off to Scottish Rite Hospital we go again. I am a little afraid of what might happen with this. As a baby it was an easy fix of wearing a brace for six weeks. Now, who knows what they can do to eliminate the problem?

After the check-up she had to give a small blood sample and get three shots in the leg. She didn't even really notice the toe stick. The blood sample went off without tears. Unfortunately, the shots were not so easy. She cried so hard. It was probably more traumatic for me than for her. When I finally got her calmed down, they came in with more bad news. E's hemoglobin was below what is considered normal and they needed to take more blood to send to the lab.

Wait a minute. Can't we just supplement her for the next 3 months and retest at her 15 month c/u (I asked)??? No. No can do. Why do they torture children like this? This time I had to hold E in my lap and they pierced her finger. She was wailing and I had to steady her arm. B pointed out that blood was dripping down onto my pants and the floor. The nurse kept apologizing, but I was more concerned about her finishing her business and leaving my child alone. She finally finished, E stopped crying, and she brought me a Tide to Go stick to clean up the pants. What a nightmare!

I think I will start supplementing Iz the month before we go and have her iron tested. I don't think I could go through this again. In the mean time we are asking for prayers for E's healing. The iron is an easy fix, she will probably just need supplements, but the hip thing scares me. I will keep you all posted about any appointments for the hip. Scottish Rite is a great hospital with a caring staff. She will be in the best hands possible.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The poor baby, the poor mommy!

Praying for the iron and the hip click...

Cynde said...

No fun when they take your baby's blood!

Praying about the hip (and your sanity). I know she'll be fine. Keep us updated.

Anonymous said...

Praying for both babies; also for Mommy and Daddy who will, no doubt, hurt more than their sweet child.