Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Are they twins?


More often than not, when we take the girls out now we are asked if they are twins. My OB told me this would happen. He has children 18 months apart and says that the older will slow in growth, allowing the other to catch up. To people just observing, they will appear to be the same in age. E is still a couple inches taller than Isabel (less of a difference than the photo above taken in October), but today we were sitting down to lunch and a nice lady asked if they were twins. B said "Well, they are Irish twins!". Then she remarked how much they look alike. Yes, but two children couldn't be more different! She also asked if we felt they looked more like me, because the eyes are mine. Hmmmmm, I've heard it all now! They look like B, they look like me, they look like my mom...we've heard it all!

I can't help but think to myself that it would be much easier to answer the question affirmatively. Then I wouldn't have to go into detailed explanations of how they are 10 1/2 months apart, and the obvious retort that follows.

I also can't help but imagine that it would have been easier with twins. I know you think I am crazy now, but I HATED being pregnant. And nursing was rewarding, but not always enjoyable. All that could have been knocked out with one shot if they had been twins. Also, yesterday Iz got this crazy idea that she didn't need diapers anymore. Naturally E had to follow. I set out the potty thinking "wow if they do this together, I won't have to do it twice". They didn't bite. They peed on my floor twice and went through 4 pairs of panties before I held them down and forced the diapers on them.

Ahhhh parenthood!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

we went through a phase here of putting the diapers on backwards - this too shall pass...

Mary Beth said...

I still think Iz looks just like her daddy. But what do I know.