Monday, February 16, 2009

Bedhead, flu bugs, and bones

What a February we have had thus far! Over the last few weeks Brad has had harpsichords to visit, concerts to play, and it all ended up with him getting the flu and being down for the rest of the weekend. He still feels bad from it. I am really starting to get tired of taking care of family sicklings. Why can't we all just get well? We have had someone sick since Christmas....and it just doesn't seem to be stopping. Just as B seems to be winding down with the flu virus, E spikes a fever (today) and has been clingy and miserable. I'm ready for some TLC of my own. One of these days....*sigh*

Here are the girls Thursday after naps. Aren't they fun??



Iz's bedhead debut

E usually has the top prize for bedhead between the two ...

But not today!!!

Speaking of Thursday, that night Jacob wrecked his scooter at his dad's house. He was going down a really steep hill and decided he wanted to stop, but the scooter stopped and he kept going. He stayed home from school at his dad's house on Friday resting and icing the bruises he had along his shoulder and back. I asked him to take him to the Dr. "just to be sure" but he decided he was just sore.

I had a concert yesterday, so naturally there was a dress rehearsal Saturday morning. I was on my way out the door when Brad handed me my V-day present. He got tickets to 3 Dallas Stars home games! The Stars are the only professional team of anything that I care to watch. (Now if we can just find a babysitter for each game so we don't miss any of the action, and much-needed time to ourselves. )

Back to Saturday...
J's dad dropped him off after rehearsal and my mom and I immediately noticed that he just didn't look right. He was standing in a strange position, and wouldn't use his R arm, which is his dominant side. I called the Dr. (whose nurse yelled at me for not bringing him in sooner) and we were off to urgent care. We spent 4 hours there for them to tell us he has a broken clavicle (collar bone). He was put into a figure of 8 brace and told not to "do anything" for 6 weeks. Yeah, sure Dr. lady! You sit with my 9 year old son and make sure he doesn't "do anything" for 6 weeks. While you're at it maybe you can cure my family of all their ailments.

Right now I just feel so helpless. I've never had a broken bone, nor a child with one. It feels awful. I want to fix it NOW. And there isn't much they can do for collar bone fractures. We follow up with the orthopedic surgeon tomorrow morning. Hopefully I can get more insight into this "not doing anything for 6 weeks". I will update you all with the news.

And now I am going to collapse....

3 comments:

Cynde said...

You know, if E was the free spirit, you could look forward to her hair looking like that at 16 - only messier. I, of course, will encourage her all I can - it's my job.

Let us know how today's visit goes.

We'll have a shot or two Friday night.

Mary Beth said...

Oh man. I'm sorry. :P

Dana said...

I'm going to be a good christian woman and not make a comment about the ex's inability to...well like I said being christian and shutting up now.
I'm sorry to hear about J's accident. For his health and your sanity we wish him a speedy recovery.