Monday, November 5, 2007

Apologies...

I know it has been FOREVER since I posted. Please don't give up on me my faithful readers...it has been a rough few weeks.

As many of you know, B directs an period-instrument ensemble called La Novella. They had a concert this past Saturday and I took it upon myself to take over the marketing and publicity of the group. Not that I can do that great of a job, but it's better than what was being done....NOTHING. So, needless-to-say, all of my computer time has been spent making contacts at local papers, and media outlets for future press coverage. I did so well that one paper even wants to do a story on B and his business (of building harpsichords) and the group.

Speaking of building, B played his newest (and first), hand built by B, beautiful harpsichord at the concert. It is really a stunning instrument. The sound is quite lovely, although adjustments he made to the action before the concert made it a little more quiet than he hoped....it was perfect for the chamber ensemble and the acoustically resonant space in which they played. They also did something they had never done before and did a type of "meet the musicians" during the show. Each of them took time to talk about their particular instrument and how it is different from it's modern counterparts and why it's dsign was important to the music of the time. Dan, the violinist, held up three different bows to show how it changed from Baroque to Classical and finally to the modern bow that we hear everyday now. I think it was a hit with the audience.



Wait....what audience????



Yes, despite my last minute media rampage, I am sad to say there were about 10 people there. That was including me and my parents. Sad, but true. I know people are busy at this time of the year, and taking a couple of hours on a Saturday to sit and be entertained seems overwhelming to most, but if I can do it....anyone can. I even had little Iz with me since childcare was not available. I think B and I were a little disappointed in the apparent lack of interest. By friends, fellow musicians, church family and the public in general. Denton County does not have a professional group like this. The nearest similar ensemble is in Ft Worth..quite a drive for a 1 hour show. I am hoping to change this by doing more media coverage. Culture is a good thing for a communty to have! You don't hear this music everyday, probably not even on classical radio. This is good stuff!!! And I'm not just saying this because he is my husband. I can honestly say I never thought I would change from my college days of frequenting rock bands in Deep Ellum to preferring the sweet melodious sounds of the past. I used to even (dare I say????) think Classical music was boring. EEK! Ok....it's out there now. I feel better.



Seriously though, since I met Brad, and he tuned my ears to "historically informed" Early Music performance, played the way it is supposed to be, the way the people of the 17th and 18th centuries would have heard it...I am an addict. It is so passionate, so lively, so haunting and so incredibly beautiful. If you ever have a chance....do it for yourself, for your soul. Even if you don't like classical music. Even if you don't hear Brad's group, but another period ensemble. Just do it at least once....you will thank me. I promise.



Ok....stepping off the box...for now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

UGGGGGHHHH!!!!

That sucks!!! I'm so bummed you didn't have more of a turnout. If we were here, we would have been there...for sure.

And at the next one, too.

I tagged you for a meme in your spare time...

http://marybethbutler.typepad.com/terrapin_station/2007/11/my-kitchen-wind.html

Dana said...

I had planned to be there with my crew but after the fainting episode Jason and I thought it best if I just rested and stayed at the house. I'm sorry I couldn't be there, but I'm up for the next one and I'm bringing David next time.