Monday, August 11, 2008

Cedar Rapids Mission Trip

I never got around to telling you all about my Mission Trip. Sorry, the Olympics are on and school is just around the corner. I am trying to clean out the old, bring in the new, and organize despite it all.

A dear friend of ours, Ted, grew up in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. There was a big flood, and thousands were displaced. Families, businesses, organizations, churches...the entire downtown area was affected. We went to help with the gutting portion of the rebuilding phase. They actually call it "mucking". There is a good reason for that. Most houses up there have basements....ick!

Our team of 11 gutted two houses over 2 days of work. I have tons of pictures, but don't have a lot of time to post, so I will let you watch the video I made of our trip on your own time.

I was astounded by the devastation. There are no words to describe the feeling of seeing the magnitude of loss and destruction. Most of these pictures are my own, and some were shared from the other group. Ted has promised to take pictures of the restored homes on future visits to his home town. If I can remember, I will share them with you when that time comes!

No comments: