Wednesday, March 7, 2007

The twins

Irish twins is a slang term that refers to siblings born less than 12 months apart - usually in the same calendar year. It references a perception about families of Irish Catholics who may not use birth control (and thus may have children in quicker succession), but it is often used endearingly by the families of the "twins" themselves. (courtesy of wikipedia)

I had a regular OB appointment yesterday and as I walked in to the office, Dr G saw me out of the corner of his eye and asked "How are the twins?". It's become his routine question at our visits. It started back at the beginning when I was laying on the table during my first sonogram. When he said "we have a heartbeat!", I think mine stopped, then I made some comment about having Irish twins. Apparently he had never heard this term before and found it rather humorous. So, now it is the joke around the office whenever I have a visit.

Everything is going well. The anatomy scan report from the perinatologist was "perfect", so that was good news. Heartbeat was slower than normal, but still a strong 142. (Maybe she was asleep?) I have gained a total of 7 pounds which is great...until I remember that I was still up about 7 pounds from my pre-pregnancy weight when I got pregnant. The good news is that when I told him I was working out again (since the placenta is nice and high) he said "great!". I have my glucose tolerance screen next time (4 weeks from now). Yuck. Hopefully this time I will pass. In the mean time, I have the "twins" to keep my mind off of it!

No comments: